Thursday, August 6, 2009

John Hughes, RIP

Another '80s icon now gone ... sad to learn of John Hughes' death today.

Just the other day, was commenting to a friend about how Hughes' films taught me much of my introductions, and re-introductions, to Greater Chicago -- so many scenes from "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" became destinations visited numerous times.

"Planes, Trains & Automobiles" taught me about O'Hare and airport car rentals.

"Vacation" (the first Hughes film I screened ... also the first Beta videotape I ever rented) showcased the start of Route 66.

One summer, the neighbor kids, my sister and I must have watched "The Breakfast Club" more than 100 times.

And more recently, "She's Having A Baby" offered a peek at the suburban commute around the Windy City. The older I get, the more I can relate to Kevin Bacon's character in this one!

Hughes' favorite music became part of the soundtracks for these and many other films, and those soundtracks became the tunes of my youth (and since).

I was secretly hoping that Hughes would make another great Chicago-based film that somehow centered on the 2016 Chicago Olympic bid (or the city ultimately winning the Games hosting duties). Here's hoping the city may honor Hughes in some manner at the 2016 Cultural Olympiad, when the time comes.

John Hughes, R.I.P.



Photo via http://www.nndb.com/people/043/000024968/john-hughes.jpg.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger
Web Analytics